nafex - [NAFEX] Opinions on cider apples. Production of dwarf rootstocks

  • From: Mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Opinions on cider apples. Production of dwarf rootstocks
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:07:08 -0500

Thanks for the site link. From the site it looks like
Yarlington Mill, Dabinett, and Henry Master's Jersey are
all quite good, with Chisel Jersey being of secondary
quality. The only rub there is that Dabinett and H.M. Jersey
are sister seedlings and not particularly interfertile and
Chisel Jersey is a good pollinator for H.M. Jersey. However,
with the number of varieties I have, I'm not particularly
worried about pollination, although my percentage of triploids
is a little high.

Regarding my production question, I'm considering buying some bushel baskets
and will ultimately have 20-30 apple trees (with varied ripening times)
mainly on Bud 9, M26, and Ottawa 3, so I was trying to get an idea of how
many baskets I would ultimately need.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6