nafex - Re: [NAFEX] (no subject)

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] (no subject)
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 12:39:48 -0500

Hello,

I believe a heavy pruning in the spring will inspire more wood.

Here is how it works, as I understand it. (experts please correct)

Plant growth is regulated by various hormones. The hormones are insprired,
or broken down by
various natural events (heat, cold, sunlight).

In the case of new wood growth...

A tree has thousands of dormant buds. These buds are held dormant by 2
things; 1) hormones
coming down from the growing tip, and hormones in the vicinity of the dormant
bud. When the
growing tip is removed the flow of hormone from it stops, and this breaks the
dormancy of a new
bud that will become the new growing tip. 2) Sunlight breaks down the
hormones in th lower
scaffold holding buds in dormancy. Say a tree is damaged and a limb breaks
off. Sunlight
streams into an area of the tree that was shaded. The sunlight breaks down
the horomones holding
the buds in dormancy, and a new branch/s emerges from the buds. When the
sunlight is blocked out
by the new branch/s dormancy returns.

With the use of agressive pruning you can imitate natural processes and get
more wood.

At least that is how I understand it.

Every wound (prune) you make will be releasing more hormones that tell the
tree to grow. That is
the tightwire that we all walk when pruning fruit trees. Too much pruning
inspires too much new
wood, and that reduces energy available for fruit. There is a thin line
between which the tree
is "fat dumb and happy" and "I am dying, more growth".

Later,
Tom

--

===