nafex - [NAFEX] cider ponderin's by 'z proverbial fluffster.

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <rocmdw@aye.net>
  • To: "NAFEX-Greetings" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] cider ponderin's by 'z proverbial fluffster.
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 05:49:33 -0500

The rabbit has asked------------------------

The questions...

Anyway I am wondering about cider.   Specifically nonalcoholic (ya'll don't want to see the fluffy bunny on the sauce).  What type of apples make the best single apple cider?  And what apples blends make a good cider?   Better yet, why do you blend the apples in a nonalcoholic cider, i.e. what are you trying to achieve.?    Does anyone make a good "tart" non-hard cider?   How about "balanced" nonalcoholic cider?

My response------------

     In making cider over the years, the following make wonderful stuff when used singularily.

     1.  Sweet 16 - tie for first.
     1.  GoldRush - tie for first.
     2.  Spigold - nearly as balanced as the above.
     3.  Gala (of all things) picked every so slightly immature.
     4.  Golden Russet - a tad on the sweet side.
     5.  Freyberg - outstanding when properly picked.
     6.  Suncrisp
     7.  I can't think of No. 7!!

     For three consecutive years, 90% GoldRush cider has won the Indiana Hort Congress cider entries, judged blindly by three so-called "experts" (me bein' one).  And the fellow who brings this cider will be back this year and I invite all to attend this great meeting.  Held in Indy, Jan. 27,28 and 29. near the airport on the west side of town.  More details later.

ed, learning of a new heavenly place in Ohio

  • [NAFEX] cider ponderin's by 'z proverbial fluffster., Ed Fackler, 12/16/2002