nafex - Re: [NAFEX] what may have happened

  • From: John Bunker <jbunker@gwi.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] what may have happened
  • Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 08:08:11 -0500

I had several unrelated lists all stop delivering a few days ago. One was
even from Europe. A friend of mine who is tuned in to the workings of the
web system world wide was not surprised.

Here's my crude version of what he told me: A lot of email is routed
through a center in Charlotte. When the the power went down in the ice
storm, millions of emails backed up. Then when they started up power again
they were overwhelmed with emails, especially the groups which are a lower
priority and get routed as groups. Consequently, many group emails were
delayed or trashed. (Or something like that.)

Cheers!

John Bunker
Fedco
Palermo, Maine -where it's gray in the sky and white on the ground.