nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Viburnum lentago

  • From: "Joe Hecksel" <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Viburnum lentago
  • Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 16:52:26 -0500

I am not a Viburnum expert but I know one when I see one.

I *think* that there are clusters of closely related species. The
lumpers call them all one species. The splitters have names for them
all.

The local viburnum talent (South-central Mid-Michigan) tends to sucker
profusely. Flowers smell like chestnut flowers, that is, not pleasant.
Fruiting is sporatic but that may be pollination related. I may need
other clones planted close by. Leaves are glossy and attractive.

I cannot comment regarding taste of fruit but will check out some the
next time I am walking in the swamp.

--
Joe Hecksel
Personal Webpage http://my.voyager.net/~jhecksel