nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bramley Apple Information?

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bramley Apple Information?
  • Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 20:24:37 -0500

Rodney,
I grow this apple near Quebec, zone 4. It is on Ottawa-3 rootstock, planted
in 1994, had its first fruits in 2000. The tree seems hardy for the
climate, is very vigorous and healthy, doesn't get scab at my location
(which is quite bad for scab). It is among the latest to ripen in my
orchard - this year I picked them on October 12, and it keeps well, and,
more important, it ripens well at my place which has a short season. The
apple is big, high acidity with an excellent flavor. As of Fire blight, I
can't comment as I an fortunate not to have any in my orchard. I would
surely recommend it in zone 4, but I don't know for zone 3. I haven't had
enough production yet to try to press the apples for cider - hopefully next
year...
Claude Jolicoeur