nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pear rootstock

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pear rootstock
  • Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 23:46:54 +0000

My "off the Cuff" reaction is the different drought tolerance. My soil is on the poor sandy side. This year was pretty dry, and I watched the leaves gradually fall off the topwork, bare by early August. However, as I did my autumn rounds, I found a nice 18" sprout-- still with leaves, from below the graft. (Tree is in a spot where day-to-day I would see a big defoliation, but wouldn't see the more reserved lower growth.)

If the OHxF has limited drought tolerance, would it reject the top work but grow its own ? And hey I wish this pear would grow on the OHxF's, because of all those advantages ! I would like to propagate this pear onto something which will last !

Tanis Cuff, s.WI, zone 5 air, zone 4 soil