nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Sugarberry, sorbus, ginko, arboretum exploration

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Sugarberry, sorbus, ginko, arboretum exploration
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 10:55:43 -0800

Thanks Richard. Maybe the sugar/hackberry fruit doesn't fully develop in
Seattle. The Plants For A Future web page says "The fruit and seed can be
ground up finely together and used as a flavouring"
http://www.scs.leeds.ac.uk/cgi-bin/pfaf/arr_html?Celtis+occidentalis&CAN=LAT
IND

Two other Celtis species I find interesting are
Celtis australis... "Seed - raw or cooked. An oil is obtained from the
seed."
Celtis bungeana... "The plant is a tea substitute. This probably refers to
the leaves. Leaves are a savoury addition to rice."

-Mark Lee, Seattle z7