nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fall bearing blackberries

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fall bearing blackberries
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 08:56:39 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Fall bearing blackberries
Fall bearing, in this case, means producing fruit on the primocanes, like fall bearing raspberries.  That is, if the plants freeze to the ground in the winter, the new shoots that come up in spring will still bloom and have a crop by late summer.  It would be a boon to northern growers.  And I found out there IS work on such types being done at Arkansas, with the possibility of some varieties being released in a year or two.

-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, more, plus word on The Grape Grower at http://www.bunchgrapes.com