nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Favorite Pruning Book

  • From: Suzi Teghtmeyer <srt175f@smsu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: jbunker@gwi.net
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Favorite Pruning Book
  • Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 17:33:49 -0600

John,
I'd recommend the book Pruning Simplified by Lewis Hill [Storey Books; ISBN: 0882664174; Updated edition (August 1986)].

The Table of Contents for fruits includes:

Chapter 10: Pruning Fruit Trees
Reasons for pruning
Central leader
Modified leader
Open center
When to prune
Lorette pruning
Winter injury and sunscald
Pruning in snow country
Pruning dwarf trees
Dwarfing a full-size tree
Pruning to make trees bear
The old orchard
Pruning sanitation
Cutting grafting wood
Pruning spur-type fruit trees
Pruning a 5-in-1 fruit tree
Commercial orchards
Apple
Apricot
Cherry
Citrus fruit
Fig
Peach and nectarine
Pear
Plum
Quince
Tropical and semitropical fruit

Other chapter cover "Pruning small fruits," "Pruning nut trees," "Pruning vines and groundcovers," and "Artistic pruning," to mention a few. Illustrations use color to show what to prune and often have before and after pictures.

The book is a paperback and the list price is $16.95 - very reasonable for the price, and cheaper from online bookstores. Amazon.com has it set up to where you can look at some of the pages.

----Suzi Teghtmeyer