nafex - [NAFEX] Fwd: Preparing ginko nuts for eating

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fwd: Preparing ginko nuts for eating
  • Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 14:40:39 +0000

A few days ago someone posted an inquiry on the NAFEX discussion list about processing ginko nuts. (Actually, I believe it was about pickling ginko nuts, but I've not been able to find a source of info on this.) Directions for preparing ginko nuts to eat, unpickled, may be found at http://www.treesforyou.org/Selection/Articles/ginkos.htm .

We have many Asian groceries in Saint Paul and I've never seen pickled ginko nuts. However, one can find them canned, packed in brine. If I were to do this at home, I'd go through the process as outlined in http://www.treesforyou.org/Selection/Articles/ginkos.htm and then pressure can them, in water to which salt and ascorbic acid have been added, as one would process fresh green beans.

--Sam Brungardt, Saint Paul, Minn. (USDA Zone 4a)

  • [NAFEX] Fwd: Preparing ginko nuts for eating, del stubbs, 11/07/2002