nafex - [NAFEX] Of rabbits and accidental bonsai...

  • From: fuwa fuwa usagi <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Of rabbits and accidental bonsai...
  • Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 01:56:28 -0800 (PST)

Gang:

Several years ago I started experimenting with pears in regard rootstocks,
variety, and fireblight resistance for my area.

I have had excellent results with OHxF 333 and OHxF 282 with one minor
exception.

My Seckles on OHxF seem to produce bonsai trees. And cute as they are, they
are simply not what I had in mind. These trees were about 14 inches tall
in their 6th year and pencil width in diameter. By contrast everything else
on these rootstocks is consistent in size and around 8 feet in the 6th year.

Now I understand that Seckle is normally a medium sized tree around 12-14
feet maximum, so I expected something of dwarfing effect on the OHxF
rootstocks I chose, but I anticipated a mature tree around 8 feet, not a
bonsai.

I suspected that perhaps the scion wood I used had a latent virus, but I
obtained the wood from Corvallis and the index was clean. Still unable to
unravel this mystery, I took a couple of buds from one of the existing trees
and grafted it onto a Harrow Sweet tree that was also on OHxF 333 (started in
the same year as the Seckles), this tree is around 8 feet tall and has
fruited.

Anyway I got about 15 inches of growth of the Seckle scion when grafted onto
harrow sweet. Therefore I do not think a virus is the problem.

So that makes me think of incompatibility, which would seem rather odd as I
have never heard any reported and Magness (Comice x Seckle) probably does
better on OHXF rootstocks than on anything else and exhibits no compatibility
problems.

Anyway I am curious if others have grafted Seckle on OHxF 333 or OHxF 282 and
what the results have been.

Very truly yours,

the fluffy bunny

The Free Email with so much more!