nafex - [NAFEX] New pear

  • From: fuwa fuwa usagi <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] New pear
  • Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 13:20:26 -0700 (PDT)

It was posted:

Thought this might be of interest to others who live, as we do, in real fire
blight areas:

* A new pear cultivar was developed by USDA-ARS Appalachian Fruit Research
Station in Kearneysville, W.Va. good flavor and
resistance to fire blight, a major disease problem for pears in the East
and Midwest. Virus-free certified budwood is available free to nurseries,
said ARS horticulturist Richard Bell. http://afrsweb.usda.gov/DBell.htm

My reply:

Just one caution, and this may "excite" a few people. Before I planted a
whole lot of blight resistant pears I would trial them in my area. I am
convinced that there are localized strains of fireblight. You might remeber
last year i posted photos of a pear tree, with what I suspected was fire
blight. No less than Ed Fackler himself confirmed that it was fireblight.
Well folks that was on Magness and now it is dead. In fact since 1995 I
have lost 4 different Magness fruit trees on various OHxF stocks to
fireblight. And the wood was from different sources, one source was
Corvallis.

On the other hand Harrow Sweet and Harrow Delight show a bit on some leaves
and branches now and then but it stays isolated. Harvest Queen has yet to
get it, and nor has Potomac. For that matter neither has my Barltlett, or
Bosc, supposedly sensitive trees.

I am just relating my experience, with limited numbers of test subjects
(singulars for all but Magness). But it is something to ponder.

TFB

The Free Email with so much more!
=====> http://www.MuchoMail.com <=====

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you@yourchoice.com w/No
Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag

  • [NAFEX] New pear, fuwa fuwa usagi, 10/08/2002