nafex - [NAFEX] grape jam success

  • From: LONGDISTSHTR <longdistshtr@InfoAve.Net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] grape jam success
  • Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 18:24:09 -0400

Del, seems to me that all frozen vegetables and fruits need to be
blanched before freezing them to destroy the enzymes which cause
deterioration. They are proteins which are destroyed by heat. It helps
retain color as well. One of the reasons honey is cooked besides letting
it flow and filter more readily. I didn't imply you should heat honey.
I prefer it raw and don't mind if it "sugars". I like the tangy taste of
partially deteriorated honey. Sugaring isn't a problem with sourwood
honey. Creamed honey (whipped after sugaring) is preferred in some
countries like Oz and NZ. You can re-liquify sugared honey by heating it
slowly and gently. I just sit it in the sun for a while. Same thing for
sugared jam.
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8