nafex - [NAFEX] Split in Kaki Persimmon

  • From: VBGarden@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Split in Kaki Persimmon
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 14:12:18 EDT

I need some advice. Today I noticed that one of our young Kaki persimmons has split down the main trunk about 8".  The tree is 5 years old, the trunk has a 3" diameter. The split starting, not surprisingly where the main branches spread, was hidden by the support stake.  Both halves of the tree top appear equally healthy, not wilting, so the cambium is still supporting the tree.  If we remove the wood from the split up, there will be only one low side branch left, leaving a stunted and lopsided tree.

Question a)  Is there any way to save the top of this tree (now about 6' tall)? Can the split be "mended" with any grafting techniques or will it simply resplit in the first wind or storm when it is larger and more seriously damaged?

Question b) If I whack out the top (oh, poor tree) should I attempt to train the remaining branch upward or wait to see what sprouts next spring?

Question c) Is this entirely moot and I should remove the tree?  These came as teensy, pathetic slips from a mail order nursery and have only begun to describe themselves as healthy trees.  Is this a problem that I should be monitoring in the two remaining trees (each a different variety) - neither exhibit this wide-open growth pattern.

many thanks -
Sybil
delighting in the rains from Isidore gently watering the VA coastline