nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Aronia Melanocarpa

  • From: Sam Brungardt <samis@attbi.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Aronia Melanocarpa
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 22:53:36 -0500

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Aronia Melanocarpa
As one who grew up enjoying homemade chokecherry (Prunus virginiana) jelly and wine on our farm in Kansas will attest to, some of the best jelly comes from fruit that many do not consider very palatable.

This is undoubtedly also the case with Aronia melanocarpa.  It has that intensity of flavor that true jelly-lovers prize.  Recently I bought a jar of Polish chokeberry jelly at a store in St. Paul, Minn., that specializes in foods for Eastern European immigrants and donated it as part of a foodstuffs made from unusual fruits package to the silent auction at the NAFEX annual meeting.

Although I'm still searching for a recipe for chokeberry jelly, it probably is made very similarly to chokecherry jelly.

In the meantime, general info about A. melanocarpa can be seen at:
http://www.orst.edu/food-resource/a/aronia.html

See http://www.orst.edu/food-resource/a/aronia.html for information about the use A. melanocarpa in Europe.  This page says about a commercial Aronia berry juice:

WildLand of Aronia Berry, Inc., information

This has on the label: Aronia, a native American berry, botanically known as aronia melanocarpa returns to America after a century of acclaim in Europe. It is a deliciously refreshing new taste sensation, uniquely tart and flavorful with a hardy robust tanginess and vibrant color. Aronia berry juice is so concentrate that its bold flavor can only be enjoyed blended, just like cranberry juice. WILDLAND comes with high marks for a healthy beverage, and of vitamin C in one 8 oz. glass. It is also rich in beneficial nutrients such as anthocyanins, antioxidants, polyphenols, flavonoids, minerals and vitamins.