nafex - [NAFEX] Re: nafex digest, Vol 1 #159 - 12 msgs

  • From: fuwa fuwa usagi <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: nafex digest, Vol 1 #159 - 12 msgs
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 11:42:12 -0700 (PDT)

Lon wrote:

I see two terms used in NAFEX fairly often that I'd like to get
clarification, or at least some sort of consensus on, "antique" and
"heirloom" varieties. To me "antique" refers to a variety that is 100 or
more years old and is propagated by asexual means - grafting, budding,
taking cuttings, etc. so it is identical to the original variety.

However, with "heirloom" I have always thought of that as a variety
propagated from seed. It usually refers to vegetables, but can refer to
perennials where the seedlings have a very strong resemblance to the parent,
such as the Door County apricot, which is commonly grown from seed.

On the other hand, it would be unlikely to find an heirloom apple, since very
few
come true from seed.
What do others say about this?

My reply:

Lon, not only do I think this is a worthwhile question, but a worthwhile
effort for NAFEX as a whole. It seems to me that normalization of
nomenclature is one area that NAFEX could certainly contribute to. I guess I
am suggesting that I would enjoy seeing something actually come of this, as
in a list of terms to be used in NAFEX communications and a glossary
published on the web page. Standards are always set by those whom chose to
utilize them. NAFEX members are a large part of the amateur community and
therefore standardization within NAFEX would lead to colonialization (see I
just made up a word) in outside organizations.

I also agree with your comments, I think of antique apples as those having
been propagated vegetatively since 1900, and I associate Heirloom varieties
as open (controlled) pollinated antique vegetable seeds (antique in the sense
of prior to 1930). I think part of the confusion comes from the use of the
term heritage apples on the east coast. I think that becomes confused with
the term Heirloom in some peoples minds as they seem like synonyms.

At any rate maybe NAFEX needs a nomenclature interest group. It might be fun
for some, and at least it would be proactive.

Excelsior my friends,

TFB

The Free Email with so much more!
=====> http://www.MuchoMail.com <=====

Promote your group and strengthen ties to your members with
email@yourgroup.org by Everyone.net http://www.everyone.net/?btn=tag