nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: VEG/Rubus control

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: VEG/Rubus control
  • Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 11:13:42 -0400

Hello,

My father in-law has a 300 acre pasture for grazing cattle.  It has been grazed by cattle for close to 100 years.  There are a couple of wild apple trees in the pasture, and a number of seedlings.

What I can tell you is that in this particular pasture is that they are not invasive.  Cattle eat the fallen apples and spread the seed (through manure) around the acreage.

The adult trees have been severely dwarfed by cattle browsing, and seedlings are stripped of leaves as soon as they grow them.  You can find a number of apple seedlings under 3' tall that are very "bonsai" in appearance.

The same holds true for wild pears.

Later,
Tom

"Lon J. Rombough" wrote:

They might do the trick, though for me the time and expense of fencing the place, providing water for the cattle, etc. would be prohibitive.  Goats work well with the blackberries here.  The trick is to mow the plants once so that the clumps all produce new, green shoots that the goats love and will keep eating.   Same problems as with the cattle, though.
-Lon Rombough