nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Groundhogs Devouring Peaches

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Groundhogs Devouring Peaches
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 14:59:40 +0000

Electric fences are very effective against racoons. One wire 6" off the ground and another at 12-14.
Greg Jordan

ditto! I use more wires closer, and only electrify the lowest when really needed (after weed-whipping). We live in racoon country and have never had one get in our garden in 5 years. We use a solar charger.
In hand clearing our1/4 acre garden spot I made a huge boulder pile just outside its boundary, not thinking it was ideal groundhog habitat...not even the badgers can rout them! However, the electric wires spaced one to a node the first foot of a 'T' post have kept them out as well. Del
I just got out our 1943" Joy of cooking", sure enough on page 195 is "Woodchuck for 4"........"serve at once over hot toast or hot toasted crackers"

Del Stubbs www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3