nafex - Re: [NAFEX] beach plums

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] beach plums
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 09:26:12 -0500

At 06:31 PM 08/22/2002 -0400, you wrote:
The currant issue of Farming (The Journal of Northeast Agriculture) has an
article on beach plums as a developing niche market in northeast coastal
areas. I have a set of three year old trees planted in two locations-- one
on a rich clay soil in Vermont and the other a gravel soil at my sisters
nearby in southern NH that have blossomed but not set fruit. I am wondering
if any growers have had success with beach plums away from the coast. JVH
south central NH where finally seasonably cool.

I planted a couple of seedling beach plums(P.maritima ?) from Ken Asmus 3 or 4 years ago. They're very different in their growth habits - one is 6 ft tall, the other only about 3 ft. Planted in my clay soil, at the perimeter of the orchard on the property line adjoining one of the neighbors' homes - not too far from their septic leach field.
Both bloomed this spring for the first time, but only one set any fruit, and to tell the truth, I haven't really looked at it again recently to see if any matured, or how they tasted if they did.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY