nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Re: Osage Orange Seeds

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Re: Osage Orange Seeds
  • Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 16:23:39 -0500

At 02:09 PM 08/22/2002 -0500, Jim wrote:
How far north will osage orange grow? I just talked to someone who remembers it on their home farm east of Madison, WI., but I am hours north of there, in the cold part of zone 4.

Jim,
The map at the WI Herbarium site shows it growing in Iowa, Lafayette, and Rock counties in southern WI. Will it grow farther north? I don't know; but, if you could find someone in those areas who could provide seed from that provenance, they might be your best bet to thrive or survive in your site.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY