nafex - [NAFEX] Melons

  • From: "Joe Hecksel" <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Melons
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 17:06:09 -0400

Hi all:

We are harvesting melons. Many of my neighbors gave up on muskmelon due
to ants.

I grew two cultivars of melon this year:
Primo: a standard orange fleshed, heavily netted selection
Passport: a honeydew X muskmelon cross with very shallow, widely spaced
netting.

The ants are ripping into the Primo but have not touched the Passport.
I suspect it is because Passport's smoother skin is tougher and more
resistant to cracking where it touches the ground. The ants are denied
easy entry.

I am not a big fan of green fleshed melons, but Passport is a keeper.
Heavy yields, ant resistant, musk melon aromatics.

Best regards from Eaton Rapids, USDA Zone 5.
--
Joe Hecksel
Personal Webpage http://my.voyager.net/~jhecksel