nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Adequate nitrogen for our fruit plants

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Adequate nitrogen for our fruit plants
  • Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 18:06:01 -0700

Interesting. Here, the white clover is usually able to stay green and do
fine when the grass goes brown in the summer. Perhaps it's a regional
variety. I know that there is an "ecologly lawn mix" sold by Nichols Garden
Nursery that includes white clover, lawn daisies, yarrow, and baby blue eyes
with the grass (don't know the species of the grass). It's not a golf
green, but it's really low maintenance (two mowings a summer will do) and
needs no water or fertilizer here. The plants support each other, with the
baby blue eyes acting as a "nurse" plant to get the mix started. Then it
dies out and the other plants take over. The yarrow adds a feathery green
look, the clover adds nitrogen, and the daisies are drought tolerant and
help keep the lawn green. I've never tried it in an orchard, but I'd wager
it would be great.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, more, plus word on my grape book at
http://www.bunchgrapes.com