nafex - Re: [NAFEX] FW: Hi-Tech Camera "Tastes" Apples to Ensure Quality

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] FW: Hi-Tech Camera "Tastes" Apples to Ensure Quality
  • Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 10:55:38 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

And there is the rub... A machine will check sweetness and firmness of
every apple. Since when can you boil down an apple's complex flavor to
two things? Who is to say that the same sweetness and firmness exists
days, weeks or months after the testing was done?

That would be like judging wine by alcohol content and color found on a
single day of aging.

Since I assume they are talking about commerical varieties, available in
supermarkets they are not super concerned with taste, but primarily
storage and eye appeal, taste ranking last of the three.

Can you imagine running this test on a Melba the day it was ready, versus
a few days later?

I am just jaded I guess, and this will benefit someone in commercial
apple production.

Later,
Tom