nafex - [NAFEX] Pecan trees to old?

  • From: rob hamilton <lostman_amiga@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pecan trees to old?
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 10:00:47 -0700 (PDT)

I work at an old college in Atlanta the has a number
of once stately pecan trees throughout the campus.
A few years ago, a large branch of one of the trees
tradgicly fell on to a kid in a tour group.
In responce, the school went around (rightly or
wrongly) hacking a number of branches of all the old
trees.
I am sure they got some consulting from an arborist,
though estheticly the trees now look horrible.

Now I look at these trees, and wonder if these trees
are in a decline. They still produce a small amount of
nuts.
Will they soon need to be removed??
When I get back I want to school, I want to find out a
bit more about the age and health of these trees,
but I wanted to get a bit of feedback from the group
about the care of some of your older pecan trees.

Robert