nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple stem borer

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple stem borer
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 20:25:54 +0000

From: Gene Spears <Spears@LMC.edu>
I've lost two new trees (Sweet 16 & Chestnut Crab) to apple stem
borers this year. Any good control method for this beast? Can you prevent
them from entering the stem?

Gene, sorry about your trees. There was a series of posts on this forum a year or so ago dealing with using used window screen to keep out mice. (I have happily found this quite effective). Then one person added that they keep out borers also by adding salvaged foam rubber (from an upolstery place) to seal the top. It seems the borers enter frairly low down on the tree. Never seen the little monsters myself, just reporting. Del

Del Stubbs www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3