nafex - [NAFEX] Triple Crown Blackberries

  • From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Triple Crown Blackberries
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 13:44:32 -0400

Joe:

You should have two sets of canes on your Triple Crown berries right now; last year's canes that should have blossomed and be fruiting by now, and brand new canes that will fruit next season.

You should not let the new canes get any longer than about seven feet, and they should be tied up to your support structure. As the new canes grow up, continue to prune them throughout the summer, or they will get completely out of control. I can't imagine why your berries are not fruiting well; my wife is picking a gallon every day from nine original plants that are now in their third season. They are one of the most productive things I have ever grown, but I add a very thick blanket of stable manure in the winter, as they are heavy feeders, and require rich, deep soil.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA