nafex - Re: [NAFEX] garden visits

  • From: Sam Franc <franc@oregonfast.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] garden visits
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 14:09:24 -0700

ted siegan wrote:

Sam,

Can't have fruit without flowers. A few kiwi growers I've spoken to around here ( eastern Ma ) don't get flowers until a good 4-5 years; same with pawpaw. I have gotten fruit on ' Itchi' and 'Great Wall' Kaki Persimmons on 3 year old grafted trees.
ted siegan

That is true. that is why you want to plant males at the same time you plant females otherwise you will wait 10 or 12 years fro fruit.
I have found that my females have not blossomed till they were 6 or 7 years old. some of my males blossomed earlier.
Because of our low heat days here it is difficult to ripen them on the vine every year.
So I pick before frost and ripen inside in a paper bag.
Sam