nafex - [NAFEX] Oriental persimmon

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Oriental persimmon
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:19:07 -0500

At 10:35 PM 06/18/2002 -0400, Gordon wrote:
They showed after the rice harvest that they were collecting Oriental persimmons of good size. Later they showed snow and freezing weather. The water froze.
Anyone have an idea what type or variety of persimmons would be there? They were picked one at a time. Later they were hung individually to dry.

I'm betting on Hachiya, as well, but there are quite a number of good D.kaki selections.

I've seen similar shows, detailing the drying of the Asian persimmons - seems like one I recall showed 'em working with Hachiya, picked with the stem/calyx still attached, while the fruits were still firm; they peeled 'em and hung 'em to dry. The finished product was coated with sugar, which 'migrated' out to the surface in the drying process.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY