nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bud 491

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <rocmdw@aye.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bud 491
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 08:55:25 -0400

Kevin:

We had it here back in the late 80s, along with a host of others from
this program along with the Polish series.
Anyway, trees budded to Bud 491 is similar in size to M27 and P22 or
runts. It will stool okay, hyper sensative to woolly aphid and hyper
senative to drought. Like P22, it is too limber for a decent interstem
(without support), but will reduce tree size to about 25%. Quality/size of
fruit was "normal" (neither larger or smaller than most others) and
compatibilities were okay except that it make brittle unions just like the
rest of the dwarf stocks. It is likely very hardy due to parentage.
That is all I know about this one. Sorry.

ed