nafex - Re: [NAFEX] plums (and apricot) grafting

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] plums (and apricot) grafting
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2002 19:07:42 +0000

Del, I have no experience with P americana as a rootstock, but it should do
well under the hybrids. Were these well established roots in pots or
recently dug when you bench grafted them? I have grafted Waneta, Gracious,
Hanska, and a couple others in the past on Myrobalan with good luck. Best
rootstocks for plums in my opinion are Myrobalan and Myro 29C; peach, if your
soil conditions and climate permit; Marianna 2624; and the St Julian A
clones. I liked Pixie in the past but don't know a source now. I'm trying
Brompton plum this year and have had very good takes and early growth on
several European (P. domestica) cultivars.

Thanks everyone to your responses to my stone fruit grafting dilema, You have encouraged me to keep trying.
David, P. Americana is the only plum rootstock I have knowledge of that is hardy in zone 2/3. I am currently propagating nankings so could try those next year as well. My wild plums are just finishing bloom so our climate schedule is quite a bit off of yours. I did field grafting on 2 year old plum rootstiock (both fall bud and spring w&t) and did some on whips straight from Lawyers nursery in spring and planted out. One grafter told me to graft plums before anything else, before leaves come out, so the advice does get a bit confusing, but grafting for heat to callus makes the most sense to me. I have no dormant scion wood this year so will try bud grafting again this August.Thanks, Del
Del Stubbs www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3