nafex - [NAFEX] Annurca/Anurka Apple Variety

  • From: John.Mosko@engelhard.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Annurca/Anurka Apple Variety
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 12:49:45 -0400

Thanks Ed,

I think anurka is the German spelling. I got a lot of hits on Google when
spelled as Annurca. Not sure if it related to anoka. FYI, here are some
comments...

Annurca is an apple variety grown in the south of Italy and demanded in the
local markets for its high quality. From the agronomical point of view it
has several shortcomings such as bare wood, tremendous vigour, late bearing
habit, biennial crop, very short peduncle, lack of red skin colour.

Our Country [Italy] is in fact one of the greater European producers of
this fruit in its various varieties like Delight Golden and Rossa, Annurca
and Renetta

Obtained: Ancient variety from Campania (South
Italy Region) grown locally.

Tree: The tree is vigorous with an upright canopy.

Fruit: The fruit is medium to small with flat
shape; the skin is thick, early is yellowish-green
and become stripened brilliant red blush when it
ripens; the flesh is quite firm and strong, it has
an average juiciness, it is sweet slightly acid, it
has an average amount of aromas and good flavour
characteristics.

Ripening period: the second week of October in
Campania; fruits are tasteful from December and for
some month.
The growth of this apple could be improved by using
dwarfing rootstocks, growth regulators, better
growing techniques and better colored clones.

"Ed Fackler" <rocmdw@aye.net>@lists.ibiblio.org on 06/04/2002 04:56:34 AM

Please respond to nafex@lists.ibiblio.org

Sent by: nafex-admin@lists.ibiblio.org