nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Persimmon Borers???

  • From: "Lucky.Pittman" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Persimmon Borers???
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 22:26:01 -0500

>===== Original Message From nafex@lists.ibiblio.org =====
>Walking through the orchard a few minutes ago I saw 3 frass tubes sticking
>out about one inch above ground level of one of my American Persimmon
>seedlings (about 8' tall). I did not find any on the other trees. My
>books don't mention a persimmon borer. Anyone know of the critter? Any
>preventative? Should I poke around with a thin wire and try to kill them?

Jim,
I can't speak to this issue with any authority, though perhaps Lon Rombough
or
Jerry Lehman can fill us in.
At the KNGA meeting, about a month ago, I took a gallon bag of cleaned,
stratified persimmon seed for anyone who wanted any. By the end of the day,
there was still a half-gallon left, but my friend John Brittain, of Nolin
River Nut Tree Nursery asked if he could have them, and I was glad to see
them
go to a 'good home'. John indicated that he's been having a hard time
getting
good vigorous seedlings up to a size to allow grafting and good growth -
borers have been wreaking havoc on them. Seems like he indicated that the
persimmon borer and dogwood borer were one and the same critter - or closely
related.

Lucky