nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Imported Currant Worm

  • From: Ribes60@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Imported Currant Worm
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 23:41:27 EDT

The red patches may also look puckered or blistered, this is caused by aphids. You may see a very few on the underside of the leaf. Unless there are a lot of them, the main possible injury is that some aphids may be vectors of virus problems.

The currant worms are small green caterpillas, much like cabbage worms, but smaller. Some have black or dark spots along the sides. You seldom see the worms until you really look for them. The first sign of damage is usually at the base of the canes on the outside of the plant. The leaves are stripped, leaving only the veins and stems. The damage expands very rapidly and the entire plant may be defoliated in a matter of three ot four days. They are more common on gooseberries but are also found on red currants. I have never seen them on black currants nor on Crandalls. In PA we usually get two hatches, further south (VA) there are often three. They are easily controlled with Malathion or Pyrethrum and I have heard that Neem Oil works, but have not tried it. It is best to spray as soon as you can when you find them beacuse they spread so fast

Ed
Northumberland BerryWorks
707 Front Street
Northumberland, PA 17857