nafex - Re: [NAFEX] hardy citrus

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] hardy citrus
  • Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 09:24:57 -0500

At 10:54 PM 04/30/2002 -0500, Donna wrote:
The juice is harsh tasting, but okay if treated like
lemon or lime juice. The peel gum will permanently adhere to your juicer,
though I suspect that acetone would remove it, as I hear it will remove the
gum that appears when you make wine from American elderberries. The
trouble with trifoliate crosses to sweet orange is that the bitter gum is
dispersed into the fruit.
I'll testify to the persistence of the gum. I supply P.trifoliata seeds, from time to time, to a guy who runs an ornamental plants nursery in Cincinnati. Last year, it was pretty late before he placed his request. I collected a gallon or so of frozen/thawed/partially decomposed fruits in a plastic grocery bag and pitched 'em into the back of the truck for a week or two before I got around to trying to extract & clean the seeds. They were a mushy mess, so I just squeezed 'em in my hands to remove the seeds & did several rinses to remove any remaining pulp/rind. My hands, as well as the plastic bucket I was working in, were coated with that sticky gum. I liked to have never gotten it all off of my hands, but I didn't think about borrowing any nail polish remover from my daughter.

Some grapefruit and tangerine crosses seemed to
have less of the problem.
As for using the fruit, I heard that some company a few years ago was
drying them, seeds and all, then grinding to produce a flea killing or
repellent powder. Yumm!! (Actually it's the oils that would kill the
fleas, the fruit aren't THAT toxic.)) Donna

Message archives are here:
To view your user options go to:
YOUR email address)
NAFEX web site: http://www.nafex.org/