nafex - [nafex] Strawberry Recommendations?

  • From: "crmauch" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Strawberry Recommendations?
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 16:46:31 -0000

I'm considering a late order of strawberry plants (although w/ the
heat I'm not sure it's a good idea). I'm only considering Red Stele
resistant varieties as I have clay to clay-loam soil (and have had
enough problems w/ crown rot on apples)
What of the following strawberries would any of you recommend (or not
recommend)?
Annapolis (early)
Earliglow (early)
Surecrop (Red Stele Resistant?) (mid-season?)
Sparkle (late)
Northeaster (early)
Cavendish (early-mid)

The company also has an offer for 25 of each of (Earliglow, Surecrop,
and Sparkle)?

Flavor is important. The berries need not be overly firm, as this is
for home use.

Thanks,

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6