nafex - Re: [nafex] Mountain ash seeds--poisonous?

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Mountain ash seeds--poisonous?
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 20:10:09 -0700

A lot of the Sorbus species have edible fruit. Sorbus domestica, for
instance, has a fairly large (1 to 2 inch) fruit that is edible, though only
after it has become soft and overripe, like a medlar. Eat one before that
and it may have sweetness and juiciness, but it will be astringent enough to
make a green persimmon taste mellow by comparison. There is Sorbus
aucuparia edulis, which looks like the common street tree, but while the
fruit of the ornamental type is bitter, the edible type can be as mild as a
soft, apple-flavored berry. I've tried a number of species of Sorbus, and
while some will make you WISH they were poisonous after you taste them, the
fruits are all safe enough to eat. The seeds may contain cyanide, as so
many pome fruits do, but if you cook the fruit, or at least don't chew the
seeds when eating the raw fruit, you won't get the poison.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, more, plus word on my grape book at
http://www.bunchgrapes.com

----------
>From: jakuehn@yourinter.net
>To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [nafex] Mountain ash seeds--poisonous?
>Date: Tue, Apr 16, 2002, 6:42 PM
>

>Dear Knowledgeable NAFEXers,
>
>I got a long letter from a NAFEX member, wondering about the edibility of
>mountain ash fruits (rowan); she had seen it listed as poisonous on some
>list. Perhaps that is just the seeds, not the fruit itself? She is also
>interested in a chart which would tell her the length of growing season
>for the different hardiness zones.
>
>Thanks so much for your help--I don't think she has email, as she is an
>older lady and always writes to me by snail mail. I'll pass on your
>answers.
>
>Jackie Kuehn

>4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a posting and
>NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was large).

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/orkH0C/n97DAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM