nafex - [nafex] pollination

  • From: "fruity08559" <fruity08559@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] pollination
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 15:53:54 -0000

Now that most of the apricots are lost to frost I have turned my
attentions to the plums that are bloomimg.
As usual I fret about my Imperial Epineuse as it is my favorite.
To my surprise the honeys seem to ignore the 5 younger, smaller
plums next to the big spreading Epineuse.
Actually all the types of bees and smaller insects seem to
want only the big plum.
Iwrry how it will get the cross poll. it needs sorely. otherwise
it is areal scarce beare.
Last year I took to hand pollinatin it and got the first
big crop ever.
So I guess my question is; "might it still be cross
pollinated by the inattentive bugs?"

I am getting a small hive of honeys this week but they will
not be soon enough for the Euro plums . Oh well- maybe next year.
At least they should hwelp with some of the shy pears this week.

Thanks for any advice you good folks can give.
Chris Duffy Stockton, NJ
( Where the frosts hit hard
before an 85 degree week)

Buy Stock for $4