nafex - [nafex] Surround on peaches and berries

  • From: john.mosko@engelhard.com
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Surround on peaches and berries
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 15:02:17 -0400

Hi Hector,

We at Engelhard had earlier dismissed peaches and nectarines as significant
crop for Surround, but are now intrigued by plum curculio, tarnished plant
bug, Japanese beetle, thrips, and rose chafer suppression data. In
addition, OFM damage is generally cut by around 50%. May be a nice tool
for non-OP and organic processing peaches where the processor has a skin
removal system.
Fresh peaches that are washed with detergent and go through defuzzing are a
potential too. A trial a few years back showed complete peach cleaning if
a fruit cleaning detergent like Decco 241 was applied to the fruit before
the brush line.

We also sell a good amount in the west for thrips, but those sprays are
basically during bloom so there are no deposits on the fruit.

For fresh brambles and blueberries, if the timing can be accomplished, you
can apply 1 or 2 good coatings just before and at beetle adult emergence
but you'd have to stop shortly after fruit set when the fruit are still
small. For processing berries, you can push the applications a bit
further.

John Mosko
Surround Crop Protectants

hector black <hblack@TWLakes.Net> on 04/09/2002 06:38:41 PM