nafex - [nafex] Burnt Ridge Apricots

  • From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Burnt Ridge Apricots
  • Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 10:26:03 -0400

Ginda:

I planted an apricot from Burnt Ridge two springs back, a Puget Gold on
St. Julian "A" rootstock. If the tree you receive is anything like
mine, you will be able to dig the hole with a hand trowel, and if you
can't lay hands on one of those, with a large tablespoon. That is to
say, the tree was small. I came across this variety thanks to loyal
nafexer Richard Ossolinski (aka Osso), who e-mailed me some photos of
his beautiful P.G. fruit grown in Maine.

But it is not to say I am unhappy with my little P.G.; on the contrary I
am most pleased with the slower-growing habit of the P.G. in comparison
with the other two apricots I have, to wit, two Tomcots on no-name
rootstock that want to grow into very large trees and require constant
pruning. One other feature of the P.G. that truly delights me is that
it began to bloom three weeks later than the Tomcots (March 31 vs. March
9), and, after what I expect to be our last cold night of the spring
(21.9 F last night from a recording digital thermometer hung in a peach
tree) the P.G. still has one or two unopened blooms. In contrast, the
Tomcot blooms and any hope for fruit are long gone, taken by several
hard freezes during March.

I don't know whether to attribute this late-blooming phenomenon to the
cultivar, the rootstock, or orchard placement, although the tree is on
the warmer, upper part of my slope, which should have made it bloom
earlier than Tomcot. Whatever the cause, I hope this tendency
continues, as this bloom time difference can be critical to growing
apricots in my location. Right now, the little Puget Gold tree is about
head-high to a tall Swede, and a little spindly, but still strong and
healthy. It does not seem to want to shoot those fast-growing verticals
up in the way of the Tomcots.

When I walked down to bring in the thermometer, the peach blossoms did
not have that frozen look (and they were in full bloom) for whatever
reasons --- maybe a little more breeze last night than was predicted, or
a short enough duration of the low temps. I guess I won't be able to
tell for sure for a few days.

Rgds, Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.