nafex - Re: [nafex] size of plants from Brunt Ridge

  • From: "Richard J. Ossolinski" <osso@acadia.net>
  • To: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] size of plants from Brunt Ridge
  • Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 09:53:25 -0400

Ginda,
I purchase Puget Golds (and other trees) from Burnt Ridge annually, and have
found them to range in size from average to 'bout average - i.e. not much
different in size or root spread from bare rooted fruit trees that you'd get
anywhere else. Unless you're from the old school (like me) and prefer larger
than necessary planting holes, a 20" diameter hole dug to a depth of 16"-18"
should accommodate whatever they send you. If not, you can always prune any
roots that are too long to fit in the hole without being forced to conform to
its confines. For what it's worth, I routinely make my holes at least 30" in
diameter (makes for easier feeding and sod control) and 20" deep, cut back the
planting stock to 30" above the ground, stake it, and tie it off four ways.
Initial overkill, to be sure, but he four stakes also serve as the supports
for the 5' high wire fencing that keeps the deer at bay until the trees get
large enough to fend for themselves (although our deer much prefer apple
twigs.) Puget Gold on St. Julian is a very grower friendly tree, and, because
of its sparse branching, requires minimal annual attention (pruning.) Prune
for shape from the get go, 'cause you won't get many chances later on. Hope
this helps. PG does spectacularly here, coastal Zone 5. (Have you seen the now
famous photo?) I would be most appreciative if you were to let me know how it
does for you down there. Best of luck.
Richard
Gouldsboro, ME