nafex - Re: [nafex] Garden huckleberries

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Garden huckleberries
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 23:52:15 -0500

Boy, you all confused me. "Huckleberries" are just the vaccinium that
grows in the woods in NH that isn't either lowbush blueberry or highbush
blueberry. It tastes a lot like a bland seedy blueberry, which is to
say, not at all bad. So I would have assumed that "garden
huckleberries" are just huckleberries growing in someone's garden.

Where does this Solanaceae grow?

Thanks,
Ginda Fisher

"Lon J. Rombough" wrote:

> One of the annoyances of "garden huckleberries" is that the common name is
> applied to several species. S. melanocerasum IS horrid. But S. burbankii,
> which looks similar, is sweet and edible right from the bush. Like many
> gardeners, I went through the usual testing of different "Garden
> Huckleberries" years ago and all were rank, unpleasant things until I got
> some of the true S. burbankii. The flaws of the fruit are that the berries
> are soft and juicy, making them a mess to pick, the birds will spread them
> thoroughly, so that I have no need to plant them any more - they come up
> everywhere, and the plants look a lot like S. nigrum, which is supposed to
> be poisonous. Dr. Charles Heiser in Indiana is a Solanaceae expert who wrote
> a book that covers the Garden Huckleberry story extremely well. Look for it
> and save yourself years of growing foul, unpleasant types like S.
> melanocerasum.
> -Lon Rombough
> ----------
> >From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
> >To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
> >Subject: [nafex] Garden huckleberries
> >Date: Mon, Mar 25, 2002, 10:03 AM
> >

> >At 08:13 AM 03/23/2002 -0600, Donna wrote:
> >
> >> I'm afraid that writers for Pomona may not have much to say about
> >>their fruit crops in 2002. Maybe it will be a year for writing about
> >>garden
> >>huckleberries (yechh!!!) and ground cherries. I've tried them in cobblers
> >>with apples, and the ground cherries are pretty decent.
> >
> >Yechh! is right.
> >
> >I grew those infamous 'garden huckleberries' (Solanum melanocerasum, if I
> >remember the scientific name correctly) one year in MO. Beautiful plants,
> >about 3-4 ft tall, big clusters of white blossoms & big clusters of juicy
> >blue-black berries, bigger than any of the selected blueberry varieties.
> >BUT!!! Even after boiling, leaching, and treatment with baking soda to
> >'neutralize' toxins, and addition of lots & lots of sugar, grape juice, and
> >a little lemon juice, pies & jams left me with a very discomforting
> >metallic aftertaste, suggesting that all the toxic alkaloids had not been
> >removed or neutralized.
> >

> >Lucky Pittman
> >USDA Zone 6
> >Hopkinsville, KY

> >4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a posting and
> >NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was large).

> 4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a posting and
> NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was large).

Buy Stock for $4.
No Minimums.
FREE Money 2002.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BgmYkB/VovDAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM