nafex - Re: [nafex] Blackberry seed question

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Blackberry seed question
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 09:18:10 -0800

I don't know about all species, but here, the Himalaya blackberries can
surely do that. I burned the vines off a hillside one time and a short time
later the seedlings from all the fruit that had fallen under the vines came
up. They literally made a solid carpet - far too many to have been from one
year's seed. Fortunately for me, it was late enough that the soil was too
dry to support them and they all died off. Of course the old crowns grew
back beautifully with all the debris removed.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, more, plus word on my grape book at
http://www.bunchgrapes.com

----------
>From: <redherring@tnaccess.com>
>To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
>Subject: [nafex] Blackberry seed question
>Date: Thu, Mar 28, 2002, 5:05 AM
>

>It's stump the experts time again. I mean you Lon, but anyone else can
>play. I want to know whether blackberry seeds can lie in the ground for a
>few years, like many garden weeds, awaiting a disturbance or change in
>conditions, or whether they all have to sprout or die the first spring.
>This is not the kind of question we tend to think about, we usually want to
>know how to sprout seeds right now. I'm not thinking about how handy and
>useable the blackberry is for us, rather how resourceful it is in dealing
>with the environment on it's own. One of these days I'll get my blackberry
>article done for Pomona, it's been simmering on the back burner for a couple
>of years.
>Thanks, Donna

>4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a posting and
>NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was large).

Buy Stock for $4.
No Minimums.
FREE Money 2002.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BgmYkB/VovDAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM