nafex - Re: [nafex] Pear Rootstock

  • From: "H.Dessureault" <inter.verbis@atreide.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Pear Rootstock
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 09:24:48 -0500

Hi Rob,
I am using the wild variety of Hawthorn that grows spontaneously in my part
of the world. (Québec, 30 miles north of Ottawa, zone 4 going on 3 as someone
described it recently).
Pears seems to do better on Hawthorne than on Pyrus ussuriensis, recommended
around here for hardiness. I have some pears trees grafted on other unknown
varieties of rootstock (probably not hardy enough for this climate) and I
have now buried the graft underground to allow for the variety to take root
(Luscious, Hudar) in the hope that the growth may be improved. On Hawthorne,
last year, I got an average of 60 % of take. One graft in particular, a
Patten scion, achieved two feet of growth in one season with side branches,
which is spectacular in my book.
It reminds me that I just received some scion wood of an edible Mountain ash,
apparently a dark blue berry instead of the usual red berry (edible for the
birds) , which I was told is compatible to Hawthorn as well.

To get back to the original subject of fireblight brought up by Doreen, all I
can add is that I have noticed a bit of fireblight last year on some trees
grafted on pyrus ussuriensis and none on pear trees grafted on Hawthorn. It
is merely an observation though as there are other factors and the experiment
started two years ago. In a few years, I will have the same varieties
established on both pyrus ussuriensis (is this correct Nathan?) and Hawthorne
and then we shall see...

Hélène
Hélène