nafex - Re: NAFEX - apricots

  • From: Robert_Purvis@nass.usda.gov
  • To: ginda@concentric.net
  • Subject: Re: NAFEX - apricots
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 08:09:33 -0600

Hi Ginda,

Puget Gold is an excellent choice for your location in view of your climatic zone and rainfall situation.   Any one of the Harrow series apricots--Harcot, Harogem, Harval, Hargrand, Harglow, and Harlayne, in order of ripening--would be good also since they are from Ontario province, but I would go for the last three as my choices.   Cummins Nursery in Geneva, NY sells them but they are out; however, Raintree Nursery in Morton WA sells Harglow.   Jerseycot (I am grafting some trees for NAFEX members this spring) and Tomcot (Raintree has it) would be good choices for early-ripening apricots; Puget Gold, Harglow, and especially Harlayne ripen a month later than they do.   I've eaten all these except Harogem and Harval, and they all rank high in the flavor department!

The NY Cooperative Extension Service has published a very good bulletin on growing apricots, which I have, and if you like I could send you a copy of it.   Cost for copying and mailing would be $2, and of course I would need your name & address.

Bob Purvis
MN Ag Statistics Service
651-296-3173

Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>