nafex - Re: [nafex] craetagus/crataegus

  • From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] craetagus/crataegus
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 14:00:49 -0500

del stubbs wrote:

>Hmmm, In my last post I spelled 'craetagus' for wild hawthorn -- a few
>minutes later I started reading an 1895 botany manual I was just given and
>saw 'crataegus'. I typed both into internet search engines and found both.
>Can anyone calrify? Here are examples if needed,
>"craetagus"<http://csf.colorado.edu/sustainability/plants/sholto.html>
>"crataegus"<http://www.bonsaiweb.com/care/faq/crataegus.html>
>
>Thanks for the pear root experiment clarification Dean. It encourages me to
>do more with amelanchier. Del
>

>Del Stubbs
>
>ag zone 2/3
>
>Pinewood Forge

>4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a posting and
>NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was large).

Del:

My vote goes for no. 2, crataegus. That's what Michael Dirr thinks in
his recent book "Hardy Trees and Shrubs". Misspellings do creep into the
language from time to time, and occasionally become accepted and part of
the permanent structure. The internet is not helping this situation
much, although it is encouraging people to write more.

Stay Warm, Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA