nafex - Re: [nafex] Kind of off topic; but sort of on/E-answers

  • From: Suzi Teghtmeyer <srt175f@smsu.edu>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Kind of off topic; but sort of on/E-answers
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 11:08:39 -0600

Kevin (Fluffy) and other,
I recommend you go to the E-answers site at: http://128.227.242.197/

Click on: Search E-answers by region by keyword

for Florida: South (this also works for the entire USA)

in the list: check the box for the University of Florida
in the box "Enter some key words to search by:" try cultivars
*when I tried this I got 305 hits on fruit, vegetable, and ornamental
cultivars grown in Florida, including strawberries, blueberries,
persimmons, pears, low-chill apple cultivars, etc. So many to chose from!

One document, "Deciduous Fruit for Central Florida", lists stone fruits,
pome fruits, persimmons, figs, blackberries, pecans, blueberries, and grape
cultivars, along with establishment and fertilization suggestions (the
document is more than 20 pages long with the tables of cultivars for each
fruit!)

At E-answers you can also search on a fruit by name; search as many
universities or even the entire region at once.

Additional links:
University of Florida Extension Publications: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/
Florida Strawberry Growers Association: http://www.straw-berry.org/

Let me know if I can help you find something in particular.
----Suzi Teghtmeyer
Librarian, Paul Evans Library of Fruit Science
Southwest Missouri State University Mtn. Grove Campus and Missouri Fruit
Experiment Station
9740 Red Spring Rd, Mountain Grove, MO 65711
Phone: 417-926-4105, Fax: 417-926-6646, email: srt175f@smsu.edu
Member: CBHL, USAIN, ALA, ACRL, IAALD

At 04:25 PM 01/02/2002 +0000, lostman_amiga wrote:
>I would say the first thing you need to do is join the
>Southern Fruit Fellowship. :)
>
>Most of what you listed will grow in Georgia, but that seems to be the limit.
>You may wish to get a book on subtropical fruit for Florida.
>
>--- In nafex@y..., "fuwafuwaosagi" <fuwafuwausagi@m...> wrote:
> > Gang:
> >
> > Well, the fluffy one is fast approaching that time in life where he
> > decides where he is going to stake out his place in the sun. The
> > wife is leaning to Florida, but as we both greatly enjoy a variety of
> > home grown fruit it poses a bit of a problem. So here is the
> > question what the heck can I grow in Florida? I guess citrus is in,
> > but what of strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, goose berries,
> > currants, apples, pears, cherries, plums, grapes, normal garden
> > crops, corn, apricots, peaches etc. My instincts tell me most
> > apples, all pears, all cherries, garden root crops except sweet
> > potatoe, plums, all goose berries and currants are out but I simply
> > do not know. Most of my books are geared for zones 3-5. Is anyone
> > in Florida, and what are you growing?
> >
> > Wishing all of you the very best,
> >
> > Kevin(the fluffy bunny)Mathews

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!