nafex - Re: [nafex] Kind of off topic; but sort of on : )

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@ticon.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Kind of off topic; but sort of on : )
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 10:14:16 -0600

Fluffy,
I lived on the Gulf Coast of Texas, which is very similar in climate to
Central Florida. All veggies grow well--including Irish potatoes. The
seasons are just different. You are planting in late Jan. and harvesting in
May, planting again in late Sept and harvesting in Dec. or Jan. Gardening
is a 12-month endeavor, even during the dog days of summer. You solarize
the soil then and can count on tropicals for flowers and fruit. These are
things that did the best for me:

Peaches (low chill cultivars such as Florida Glo, May Pride, etc.--all 200
hours or so)--terrific fruits
Citrus--my favorite was Owari satsumas
Bananas--drop-dead easy, and there are so many kinds, each with a different
flavor
Jujubes--ask Sam Powers on this list to tell you about these
Persimmons
Strawberries--Florida grows most of the commercial ones. You want to plant
day neutrals. Chandler and Sweet Charlie are good varieties.
Blackberries--again a very easy crop.
Apples--low chill varieties like Anna
Huckleberries--the southern version of blueberries and just as tasty.
Muscadine grapes--big, juicy and full of antioxidants

And, there are many more like mangos, papayas and cherimoyas. Southern
gardening is a continual learning process, but there are so many rewards.
But, keep in mind that you will sweat. In fact, you will turn into an
Olympic class sweater due to the high humidity. Figure on at least six
months for your body to acclimate.
Doreen Howard