nafex - Re: [nafex] stratification of persimmon seeds

  • From: lee sharp <sharplr@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] stratification of persimmon seeds
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 08:10:04 -0800 (PST)

Hi Robert

I have never planted kaki seed but where I have
discarded them in my compost area they have germinated
and grown without any help regarding chilling. I am in
zone 8B in south Ms.where we probably get maybe 300
hours chilling. So,I believe that if you put them in
the ground or in pots outside in the Atlanta area they
will get all the chilling required. They may need
protection from squirrels or other seed eating pest. I
have planted native persimmon seed and to hold them
until spring to plant I stored them in damp(not wet)
peat moss(mix seed & peat)in the Frig & freezer. Not
knowing I did it both ways. I planted the seed in
early April and there was no difference in germination
between the two. both had a high percent of
germination.

Lee Sharp
Zone8b
--- lostman_amiga <lostman_amiga@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I recently save a large batch of asian persimmon
> seed to try to germinate
> them. I havent found much information on how to doo
> this, but I was
> told that they need some chilling. I also nicked
> the seed to try
> it along. Because the weather down here has been
> unusually warm
> (till recently), I have stored them in most soil
> pots in the fridge.
>

> My question is how much chill do they need? Will
> they start growing in
> the fridge like my Nanking Cherries did?
>
> I huess I am conserned because I always considered
> Asian Persimmons
> to be somewhat of a subtropical fruit. Maybe it
> just the taste :)

http://greetings.yahoo.com

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!