nafex - [nafex] Re: [CoolFruit] Medicinal properties of JAMUN - Syzyzium cumunii.

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch@vsnl.com>
  • To: <CoolFruit@yahoogroups.com>, "Leo Manuel" <leom@rarefruit.com>, <rarefruit@yahoogroups.com>, <nafex@yahoogroups.com>, <rarefruit-recipes@yahoogroups.com>, <listmanager@bursmedia.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: [CoolFruit] Medicinal properties of JAMUN - Syzyzium cumunii.
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 09:33:27 +0530

It looks that the attachment has not gone. So I am sending it again.

JAMUN
(Syzygium cumunii)

Jamun has a large glabrous evergreen tree. It can grow upto 30 metres tall
and the trunk girth can be upto 3.6 metres. The fruits are 2 to 3 cm long
and deep purple in colour. Jamun is grown all over in the tropical and
subtropical regions of India. Because its height, it is also planted as a
windbreak and as an avenue tree along the highways. The young plants are
very susceptible to frost.

Besides the regular jamun, there is also a wild jamun Syzygium fruiticosum.
It has smaller fruits. This species is relatively cold hardy and can
withstand mild frosts. It is therefore planted in hilly regions too.

Medicinal properties

The jamun fruits are a general tonic, cooling and astringent to bowels.
These enrich blood and strengthen liver. These increase VATA in body,
remove bad smell from the mouth and cure biliousness. Very good vinegar is
prepared from ripe jamun fruits. This vinegar is an agreeable stomachic and
carminative. It is also used as a diuretic.

The bark of jamun tree is digestive, astringent to the bowels and
anthelmintic. It is good for sore throat, bronchitis, asthma, thirst,
biliousness, dysentery, blood impurities and ulcers. The fresh juice of
jamun bark alongwith goat milk is given to children in diarrhea. An
astringent decoction is prepared from jamun bark and used for gargles and
washes.

The ash from burnt leaves strengthens gums and teeth. The expressed juice
from leaves is used in dysentery alone as well as in combination with other
astringents.

The seeds are useful diabetes and are widely used to treat diabetes alone
as well as in combination with some other some other medicines of its class.
The seeds are also astringent to bowels, diuretic and stop urinary
discharges.